Dialgue with Mel

After our conversation, I still had some questions in my mind...so I have had an email conversation with Mel tonight

Hi Mel,

I'm just thinking a lot about the conversation that we had this morning about the MST kids.

A question...

Are there specific dispositions that each child is lacking or is it more about an attitude to learning in general?

What is your opinion?

Thanks!


Mel's reply:

Good question!  It differs from child to child obviously but there is a theme with both groups - the major difference you will see below is the attitude between the two groups.

In no particular order...

Not knowing what to do when stuck  - disposition (asking for help, risk taking - in terms of thinking ...what do I already know that I can use?  How can I get started?
contributing and participating their ideas - so actually engaging - talking, collaborating vs competing!, over/under participators,
not starting (giving up easily),
seeing everything as hard - not valuing the challenge,
limited approaches to problem solving,
needs considerable support to explain thinking (I forgot, I can't remember, don't worry, ask someone else...),
unaware of learning needs?? - not sure about this one??
Can't make connections,
and some even last intake struggled with mathematical notation - and this can be an unintentional fall out of rich tasks and talk moves (Eileen and Samantha have both needed coaching on this) - recording the maths.

I think status (chosen or alotted - intentional or not) positioning of children is a really interesting area of practice to explore.

Also the degree of difficulty of tasks comes into it too somewhere - Bobbie said if we lifted all our tasks up by 3 levels (not quite sure if levels marries with curriculum levels) our learners would perform better universally.  So this relates to the struggle and challenge - I'm not sure where I've read about the the cognitive load/capacity/struggle or exactly what I read but it was along the same lines.

I really want my book to arrive - the high expectation teacher

This groups attitude to learning is positive - the first group was negative.

I would put lacking confidence as the umbrella disposition that is lacking.

I keep thinking about resilience too - this intake is resilient but the first group not.

I am seeing similar themes with my 'fragile at' groups too.

It's quite complex - but I keep thinking what is best for our priority learners will as research shows benefit all - including gifted/talented/bright etc.

This approach/opportunity to teaching is often only (and maybe not at RSS) given to achieving/confident learners - we have come from (and maybe now over compensate ) reducing cognitive load, not stressing kids out, not knocking confidence - but then maybe not growing it??, building self-esteem etc etc but self-esteem will grow with confidence if they feel successful.

I need to go back and look at acceleration practices - I think implicitly acceleration methods do put kids under pressure/greater expectations but is it explicitly stated anywhere??

Sorry for the novel and random thoughts - but this is all going around and around in my head, Elly - but you did ask! :)

It comes down to agency

it would make a very good long term study

From Elly:

This excites me SO much Mel!  Thank you!  And I LOVED your novel!! 

Can't wait for thursday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jo Boaler: Mathematical Mindsets

Final Appraisal 2017

educamp18